LOL sails again

This is the place to discuss your completed boats, and the practical sailing experience on them. What works, what doesn't? What do you want to change and what would you do differently next time?
cpcanoesailor

Re: LOL sails again

Post by cpcanoesailor » 12 Jun 2017, 14:22

LOL and I had an interesting sail in Burrard Inlet yesterday. There was a big tide and light winds with several wind shifts, and then a W wind of maybe 10 knots filled in for an hour. I also had to avoid shipping traffic. I got backwinded once, but recovered, and I reefed later, which went well. I'm still anxious about lifting the ama, so I don't want to push LOL. Top speed was only 6 knots. But ghosting was great.
2017-06-11 sailing track.jpg
At the end, while waiting for the tide to rise, I motored over to Reed Point Marina to have a look, and then the motor controller overheated. I could have bypassed it, but I didn't bring a screwdriver. So, I had to scull 2km upwind and against tide to my launch site. I would have lost ground trying to sail upwind in the narrow channel.

Back at the boat yard, I bypassed the motor controller (now dead) so I could run the ATV winch to pull LOL into his still soft berth. At least the battery and solar charge system works well.
Photo055.jpg
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 04 Jul 2017, 13:59

I had a nice sail yesterday. Winds were 5 to 10 knots. I was able to get good speed relative to the wind by sheeting in on a close reach, and then slowly bearing off. At one point, the ama was barely skimming the tops of the waves, and LOL was surging along. That felt good. I caught up to a Laser and Lazy-E (stretched Enterprise) sailing off the wind.

I repaired the other motor speed control (bought 2) and mounted it in a waterproof container separate from the battery pack, with a cooling fan. Now the PWM noise doesn't mess up the power meter. But it still got hot pushing LOL into the wind on the way back to the ramp. I guess I need a bigger, better motor controller.

No sailing for a while, until work and family commitments allow.
Rob Zabukovec

Post by Rob Zabukovec » 04 Jul 2017, 23:15

Curtis,

I asked Rick Willougby what type of motor controller I had, in case you might find it helpful.... But Rick being Rick, had this to say:

"It is likely your motor is completely different to the one on the little proa. You have a Kelly controller KEB48201X that suits a brushless motor:
http://kellycontroller.com/keb48201x24v ... -p-59.html

Kelly will have a controller for the motor but it would need to be selected from their range. If they require a reversing drive then choose a controller with jorstick control rather than switched reversing.

Kelly controllers are reasonable but have issues with brushed motors on boats. They will not reverse if the prop is spinning forward so cannot be used to reverse the boat if it is being driven by the wind. If reversing is a requirement under those conditions then look at something in the 4QD range:
http://www.4qd.co.uk/product/4qd-range/
This is a UK firm and the owner is a sailor so understands the requirements. Kelly recommended dropping an anchor to stop the boat."

Which I am sure is much more helpful......

Rob
RobinBennett

Post by RobinBennett » 05 Jul 2017, 08:22

I've used 4QD speed controllers before, they're a very helpful company with loads of useful technical information on their web site. Their controllers expect a switch for reverse and a variable resistor for throttle.

Incidentally 4QD stands for '4 quadrant design' i.e. as well as forward and reverse, they can also act as an electronic brake in forward and reverse. I think that's what Rob is referring to about being able to stop to prop when it's windmilling.

That said, given the power of salt water to mess up the best designs, if I were building an electric drive I'd include an emergency bypass - possibly similar to Jamie Mantzel's frankenswitch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCvfmIstysE)

Also, is yours an AD scull? Do you have any plans or recommendations?
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 05 Jul 2017, 13:36

LOL's 12V trolling motor has brushes. I've been using Chinese PWM controllers purchased on eBay for under $20 each. They are rated 40A continuous, but based on my experience that's optimistic. The motor's maximum draw is around 35A. When they work, they seem to work well.

Thanks for the 'good controller' suggestions. Something to think about.

I built a yuloh. I've heard good things about AD scull, but I'm not sure where to get plans. I bet Skip would know. His Nomad has an AD scull, if I remember correctly.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 31 Aug 2017, 15:43

Finally went for a sail yesterday after arriving home from our 4000+ km road trip to AB and SK. Nice light S/SW winds made for an afternoon of reaching. I raced against a tug and barge for several km, but diesels prevailed over wind and sail.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12769215@ ... 482672575/

I hooked up a 60A PWM motor controller (Chinese). This one does not have a direction switch, but it's easy to spin the motor around on its mount, so I don't miss it. This controller runs much cooler than the previous ones, even without a fan.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 03 Sep 2017, 22:55

I went on an overnight trip with LOL to Twin Islands. I had a nice downwind sail there, and a very nice, quiet night anchored under the stars. I even judged the tides correctly, so I was able to wade to shore in the morning for a walk and to visit the outhouse, before hauling anchors and heading back. I enjoyed using the yuloh and then the motor for a couple of hours until the wind started. Then it was a testy sail into a fickle wind and against the tide while sharing the water with many other boaters with varying amounts of courtesy. I found out that LOL doesn't ship any water even when crashing a meter high powerboat wake. After losing the wind in the slop about a mile from Barnet Marine Park, I downed sails and motored in. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed "cruising" in LOL.

High tide...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12769215@ ... 482672575/
Photo145.jpg
And at low tide...
I had four people comment on LOL. A guy actually swam over from the yacht in the video to chat. He was a retired shipright. Another guy passing said he wanted to build a proa and started asking questions (when I was distracted by shunting in a busy channel in current - sorry!). Even a marginal proa specimen draws interest. :)
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 17 Sep 2017, 16:48

I enjoyed a down-wind sail in very light winds yesterday. I had to 'pop' the battens after I shunted. But then the sails would draw and LOL moved along at 2 or 3 knots. Quite satisfying. The 60A motor controller also worked flawlessly on the way back to the launch point. I think it's ready for a longer trip.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 11 Oct 2017, 14:25

Thanksgiving Day (Canadian) was the last sail of the year for LOL.
There wasn't much wind, but I managed to ghost over to Cates Park. Then I ran the motor for a long test - over 1.5 hours at full speed. No problems really. Average motoring speed was about 5km/h.
Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 7.18.26 AM.png
(The graph doesn't show the whole day)

Time to switch to projects mode. Like improving the hydrodynamic efficiency of the trolling motor.
tdem

Post by tdem » 27 Oct 2017, 11:14

Fantastic! It's good to see LOL being continuously improved.
The most important thing is to keep the most important thing the most important thing.- Donald Coduto