LOL sails again

This is the place to discuss your completed boats, and the practical sailing experience on them. What works, what doesn't? What do you want to change and what would you do differently next time?
cpcanoesailor

Re: LOL sails again

Post by cpcanoesailor » 27 Sep 2016, 13:12

I have a lee flotation strategy - 55 gallon plastic barrel strapped to the hull. The sealed barrel cost $12, the ratchet straps will cost about the same. I just need to install 4 padeyes. I'll attach the barrel before sailing, since it would make LOL too wide for his berth. I'm considering clever responses to the question 'what's in the barrel?'

I did some LFP battery testing. One of my discount cells failed after about 70 minutes of running the trolling motor. That's barely half the rated capacity. So I'm looking for a replacement CALB SE100AHA cell. After the cell failure, I worked the yuloh for an hour. That felt good, actually, even though it was dark, and starting to rain.

My sailmaker finally had a look at the twisted luffs (long battens pushing at the mast), and made some mods to one sail. I might get to try it before the end of the season. Regular Laser practice sails would likely have avoided this problem.
RobinBennett

Post by RobinBennett » 28 Sep 2016, 09:06

You might want to consider a lenthwise lashing too, or a block of wood at each end. You'll probably be traveling pretty fast in a capsize, and the barrel will hit the water quite hard.

What's in the barrel? Well, after watching this video yesterday, I'd make a label that says 'Not Booze'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0kiYqyBmo
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 09 Oct 2016, 16:37

I've just discovered that LOL has an "Ninogi Islands " ama.
https://www.facebook.com/greatninigocanoerace/
I feel a little smug. Never mind that LOL's ama is too short...

I hope to do some capsize testing with the barrel tomorrow. And maybe sailing, if there's wind. Nice fall days off work are precious.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 11 Oct 2016, 14:50

Odd day with LOL yesterday. Damaged launch cart, broke rudder arm, tested sail mod, capsize test, evicted mouse, took sails home for winter.

Sail mod: Bruno the sailmaker added cloth and changed the batten ends on one sail in an attempt to control luff twist. It's a step in the right direction, but not nearly enough stiffness.

Capsize test: with the lee floatation (barrel) secured, I pulled LOL over in shallow water using a halyard and extension. I was surprised at how much effort was required. The barrel should stop LOL from capsizing much beyond 60 degrees, unless the stress causes the side of the hull to collapse inward.

Mouse: caught it using a bailer, thankfully before it did any damage to sails or lines

I've shifted to winter projects mode - battery, various repairs, sails. I need to replace the rub rails under LOL with aluminum bar. I should have used that in the first place.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/12769215@N06/07xR5c
https://www.flickr.com/gp/12769215@N06/4590Vn (caution: boring)
Photo007.jpg
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 18 Dec 2016, 17:13

The weather confirms that it's time for winter projects mode.
I've repaired the rudder arm and rebuilt the ama cart with larger wheels so far.
And I'm searching for a replacement LiFePO4 battery cell. I've realized that the dead cells were my fault, and could have been prevented through more careful testing, and better planning. Live and learn.
Bruno, my sailmaker, and I had a good chat. I'll try being much more assertive with my sail adjustments next year. Bend those sails like I bent the plywood onto the hull frames. That agrees with what other Laser sailors suggest on the web - add serious purchase for downhaul, outhaul and vang adjustments, and then use it.
Attachments
Photo011.jpg
Photo012.jpg
Manik
Site Admin

Post by Manik » 13 Feb 2017, 22:41

I think it's great you are sharing all your haps and mishaps here, and I've learned a lot about some of the practical problems you can encounter, by reading your posts. :) Keep it up!
"Man's mind and spirit grow with the space in which they are allowed to operate." - Krafft A. Ehricke, rocket pioneer
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 14 Feb 2017, 15:45

Thanks Manik! Sometimes I feel like the court jester in the proa kingdom, but that's OK. It's fun!
BTW, I found another LFP cell, so I'm moving forward with my battery pack (this time with BMS and waterproofing) and electric propulsion. I'm looking forward to some real cruising this summer. The snow is melting...
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 06 May 2017, 14:40

Spring has been very slow to come to Vancouver, and I have been very busy. I plan to connect the new battery pack/motor controller to LOL's solar panel today. Let's see how that goes.
P1040908.jpg
P1040910.jpg
P1040912.jpg
P1040913.jpg
I think I'll call it the power bag.

Update: charge controller works great, no smoke when connecting the BMS. Can't wait to test with the trolling motor.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 14 May 2017, 13:59

I launched LOL yesterday for a quick test run. The electric motor controller works well enough with the trolling motor, and also with the ATV winch. However, the cheap PWM controller freaks out the power meter at anything less than full speed - probably noise going back to the supply. The power bag didn't seem to mind the light rain.

As per the weather, there was lots of mud in the yard. I spent as much time moving LOL in and out of her berth as I did on the water. It was very nice, however, to spend some time on the water, motoring, and at the yuloh.
Photo032.jpg
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 27 May 2017, 14:39

I sailed LOL for the first time this year. It was a good day. I had upgraded the outhauls and downhauls on the sails, as well as the halyard blocks, and I did see an improvement in sail shape over last year. Now I need to learn to actively use those controls, like a Laser sailor would.

I sailed up Indian Arm, against the tide, to the area where I capsized last year, and then I tacked back home, again against the tide. I kept expecting the ama to lift, but the wind wasn't strong enough (no whitecaps). I'm a bit sensitive now, I guess. It was ideal wind for LOL actually, and I think at times he was nearly matching the wind speed.

The battery pack was fully charged when I arrived. I used the ATV winch to extract LOL from his still muddy berth before launching. I'm glad to say that the battery was fully charged again after two hours in the sun. I didn't even use the trolling motor.